Here you find information on how the faculty of Humanities, Social Sciences, and Theology supports you during your studies in Erlangen and/or Nürnberg. Find information on what support we offer and what steps to undertake, when you come to visit the faculty either as a regular or as an exchange student.
- German at a level of DSH2 (Here you find more detailed information on the proof and acquisition of German language skills).
- A school diploma recognized in Germany for Bachelor students (For further information, please refer to international qualifications)
- A first university degree in a field related to your master programme for master students
For more details, please take a look at the degree programme of your choice. Information is generally provided in the course language(s).
We offer you the help of local students, so called buddies, who accompany you in the first days and weeks and maybe throughout your studies in Erlangen and/or Nürnberg, supporting you in your every day life and your studies. Some degree programmes offer tutorials for international students. For more information see below, support for incoming students.
If you are looking for help to finance your studies in Germany, visit the database of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). There you find information on any possible scholarships. If you are a student from Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia or Ukraine, you might apply for a scholarship offered by BAYHOST. As a student from Latin America you have the possibility to turn to BAYLAT for a scholarship supporting you in the final phase of your studies.
Kerstin Maurer, MA (Bachelor, Teaching Degree)
Dr. Ruth Maloszek (Master, PhD)
We offer you the help of local student buddies to support you throughout your stay in Erlangen-Nürnberg in all questions of organizing your life and your PhD study at our Faculty. Some chairs offer tutorials for international students. For more information see below (Support for Incoming Students).
The most important steps at a glance:
1. Find yourself a supervisor.
2. Sen your documents via certified mail to Promotionsbüro of the Faculty.
3. Register with docdaten.
4. Find yourself support at FAU Welcome Centre with the organisational questions during your research at FAU.
If you are looking for help to finance your research in Germany, you can visit the database of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). There you find information on all possible scholarships. If you are a student from Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia or Ukraine, you might be able to use a scholarship offered by BAYHOST.
FAU’s Newcomers‘ Club welcomes you and your family. The club aims to be a starting point for joint activities, such as toddlers’ groups, sports / games / arts / literature meetings, excursions and conversation groups. Join us every second Thursday for a talk about different aspects of the region and start making plans with other participants over coffee and tea.
If you want to learn German or enhance your proficiency, have a look at the offers of FAU language centre (summary in English).
Last not least: Do not hesitate to contact us with any questions you might have.
Support for incoming students
If you require help at the start of your studies or later, you find support:
- The next course takes place 4-5 October 2018 (two days due to bank holiday 3 October)
Join the facebook group, where you can communicate in German or English: “Buddyprogramm der Philosophischen Fakultät der FAU”
- reading of basic texts an texts of your choice
- repetition of the most important scientific terms and methods
- help with your language questions
- assistance in your scientific work
- exercise presentations
Please contact the international office of the faculty for more detailed information.
If you want to learn about DSH, or if you want to know which language certificates are accepted at FAU, check the information on FAU international.
At http://www.stellenwerk-fau.de you find advertisements for placements and jobs.
If you are looking for some more social contact or just want to meet people, try these opportunities:
- 19 October 2018, 7-8 pm at Pacelli-Haus (Erlangen)
- the Cultural evening on 22 November 2018 unfortunately does not take place, we apologize
- 8 December 2018, 2 pm – open end Christmas market (Rothenburg ob der Tauber)
- 10 January 2019, 7 pm – open end Games night at Kanapee (Erlangen
Excursions are offered by FAU Volunteers for Internationals, as well.