Office for Research and Early-Career Researchers
Your contact for the departments:
- Digital Humanities and Social Studies
- Media Studies and Art History
- Social Sciences and Philosophy
- Sport Science
- Islamic-Religious Studies
Your contact for the departments:
- English, American and Romance Studies
- Classical World and Asian Cultures
- German Studies
How we can help you
Information and counselling for researcheres
- Information on third-party funding programmes, scholarships and current tenders
- Further development of third-party funded research
- Support and advice during the application process for research projects (cross-reading of applications)
- Participation in the design and coordination of projects
- Research-related public relations, research documentation and preparation of the research report
- Lectures and workshops, research funding events and joint projects
Grants for research related conference visits abroad
The Faculty of Humanities, Social Sicences and Theology promotes early-career academics in the humanities and likes to further internationalisation of research at the faculty by means of a programme set up specifically for this purpose. The aim is to support early-career researchers (doctoral students, postdocs, Jun. Prof.), e.g. through active participation in an international academic congress. The funding consists of a contribution of up to 100 percent of the travel and accommodation costs incurred, including the congress fee. A prerequisite for funding is the rejection of a funding application by another external funding organisation (e.g. DAAD). Further information and the application form can be found in the FAUbox (folder: Dekanat – Büro für Forschung).
ATTENTION: Applications for funding for conference trips abroad must be received by the DAAD at least four months before the first day of the event.
Please submit the “Antragsformular Kongressreise Philosophische Fakultät” electronically by e-mail as a pdf file to the Office for Research and Youn Researchers.
Seed funding for your project
The Award Commission of the BMBF/DFG Overhead – Faculty of Humanities Social Sciences and Theology provides start-up funding for all faculty members. The aim of the award commission is to promote peer-reviewed third-party research at the faculty. To this end, mainly the early phase of project development is to be supported. The seed funding also serves in particular to promote early career-researchers, who are expressly invited to submit applications at this point.
Further information and the application form can be found in the FAUbox (folder: Dekanat – Büro für Forschung).
Workshops and Trainings
The office for research and young researchers offers events and workshops for all scientific career stages on topics around the application for and acquisition of third-party funds. Requests for special event formats can be forwarded to the office for research and young researchers.
Every year in summer the Faculty celebrates its Research Day (“Tag der Forschung”). All members of the faculty are invited to exchange ideas and present the results and methods of their current research. Further information can be found here.
ProFund schools young researchers of the faculty, in particular postdocs, habilitands and junior professors with little experience in the acquisition of third-party funds.
The goal is to provide know-how how to develop one’s own project ideas, how to apply for third-party funding and how to handle and implement third-party funded projects. The programme qualifies for a promising application and implementation of a third-party funding project, for example, from DFG, EU, or renowned foundations or the BMBF.
To obtain the ProFund certificate, the following modules have to be covered:
Module 1 – donor organisations
Module 2 – application workshop
Module 3 – management & leadership
You can register for the individual seminars via the Graduate Centre and apply for the certificate after successful participation.
The programme is offered in German only.
Promotion of research projects
Selected research sponsors
- Bundesministerium für Bildung und Forschung (BMBF)
- Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG)
- Volkswagen Stiftung
- Fritz Thyssen Stiftung für Wissenschaftsförderung
- Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst (DAAD)
- Alexander von Humboldt Stiftung
- Gerda Henkel Stiftung
- EU Horizon 2020
Funding and scholarship databases
- Servicestelle für Elektronische Forschungsförderinformationen (ELFI)
- Aktuelle Ausschreibungen des Bundesministeriums für Bildung und Forschung (BMBF)
- Förderdatenbanken des Bundesministeriums für Wirtschaft und Energie
- Portal für Stiftungen und das Stiftungswesen
- Stipendiendatenbank e-fellows
- Wissenschaftspreise und Stipendien Academics.de